Mobs are entities that move and drop items when killed. Mob spawns depend on the type of biome. There are eight mobs in starve.io: rabbit, wolf, spider, arctic fox, polar bear, dragon, GMO piranha, and kraken. All mobs are aggressive to the player, except the rabbit.
Rabbits are the simplest and easiest animal players can hunt, since they provide no real harm (except when they obstruct the Be Peaceful chrono quest). It runs away from the player upon sight. It is faster than the player, so it is recommended to corner it into an object to kill it. The range of spears is good for counteracting their speed.
The most common of the aggressive mobs, it runs towards the player upon sight and will not stop until line of sight is broken or the player is far away. Slower than the player and easy to outrun. The wolf deals damage when on top of the player. It is recommended to run away and hit it every so often. With decent gear, the wolf is an easy kill. Upon its death, the player will receive two pieces of raw meat and Wolf fur. The wolf does a lot of damage, around 1/5 of the players health bar.
One of the most annoying mobs, the spider runs and attacks the player at a much quicker pace (pauses a lot - take advantage of that!), almost always requiring an obstacle to get away. Its special ability is to trap players for 2-3 seconds allowing the spider to catch up and deal massive damage. Make sure when fighting a spider to have at least stone gear. Fighting spiders can be deadly if there are other hostile mobs nearby. The spider gives 2 threads, which is used to make bandages, earmuffs, coat, and many other useful items. The spider doesn't do as much damage as the wolf, but is much faster, and with its trapping ability, more dangerous.
The Arctic Fox resides in the snow biome. Of the two animals currently there (the Arctic fox and the Polar Bear), it is weaker but faster. Some players prefer hunting them for the cap and scarf over the polar bears, since bears have a lot more health and deal more damage.
Quite similar to the wolf it can be killed by using a spear or sword. If low on heat, players can build a campfire and run around it while occasionally attacking the fox.
The Polar Bear is the stronger of the two animals currently in the snow biome making it difficult to fight.
One easy way to farm polar bears is to take advantage of their slow speed, and kite them while running in circles around a fire. It is recommended to use a sword while doing this, for extra damage. Make sure not to keep hitting the fire as after about 15-20 hits the fire will despawn.
The dragon deals a considerable amount of damage very quickly, therefore it is recommended to trap them with walls first before attacking.
GMO Piranha is a mob that was added in the Vamos a la Playa update. It lives in the ocean, because GMO piranhas are genetically modified to live in the ocean. It is a hostile mob which can climb onto bridges and hurt players. It drops piranha scales and fish upon death. A stone sword or stone spear is usually enough to kill the GMO Piranha.
Kraken is a boss mob that currently spawns in the ocean biome. It drops a kind of leather used for the diving suit and the super hammer. Kraken is able to climb onto bridges. No matter what helmet the player is wearing, this fiendish monster can kill the player in 2 hits thus dealing around 80% damage to the health bar.
- When being chased by a hostile mob, remember that they chase you in short bursts of movement (although apparently not the wolf). So if you run around a small object, like a wall, small tree or berry bush, you will most likely lose their aggro.
- Rabbits will run away when approached, and are much faster than you. Try using a spear to hunt them, as the extra range will give you the advantage, or try driving them into obstacles, or the border of the map.
- Keep in mind you can run faster than a wolf or a polar bear, but slower than a spider (actually easy to outrun) or an arctic fox. A wolf is easy to kite, and is surprisingly easy to kill with even the most primitive weapons. However, if you only have a wooden or stone pickaxe, it is recommended to avoid hostile mobs, as the reach and damage provided from the pickaxe is very small. If you are inexperienced, or want to play safe, wait until you get a sword or spear before engaging a wolf or spider. While it is possible to kill a wolf by punching it to death, it is not recommended as your fists do not do a lot of damage and it may take up the better part of the day.
- The common animals of the snow biome, the polar bear, and the arctic fox, are EXTREMELY dangerous! They have a large amount of health, are quick enough to keep up pace with you, and do quite a lot of damage, and the freezing temperatures don't help. Make sure to bring along plenty of campfires, as well as a chapka to fight the cold. When hunting for winter fur, run away from the mob in a straight line or continuously walk around a fire and attack them sparsely. Holding any weapon slows you down, so make sure to unequip as soon as possible to gain distance before hitting again. Another approach is to not use a weapon at all, and fight with a pickaxe instead.
- Dragons have HUGE amounts of health, deal heavy damage and move faster than you, so trying to kill them conventionally is suicidal. When going into the dragon cave for amethyst, it is recommended to wear an explorer's hat or block off a safe zone with structures (walls). If you want to acquire a valuable dragon heart, wait for one to move into the corner and then trap it with several walls. You can attack with a spear or sword through them.
|Forest||Rabbit · Wolf · Spider|
|Winter||Arctic Fox · Polar Bear · Dragon|
|Ocean||GMO Piranha · Kraken|